Best Disc Golf Discs for Beginners
If you’re stepping into the world of disc golf, you’ve probably noticed that their are a lot of different discs to choose from. Believe us, by trying to keep more than a hundred thousand discs in stock, we know just how many different discs there are. The choices can be overwhelming, but we are here to help you out. A new feature of our website shows exactly the most recommended disc golf discs for beginners.
Infinite Discs began in 2012 with a focus on disc reviews. We encouraged reviewers (disc golfers of all skill levels) to rate and review the different disc golf discs that they have thrown. In the review section, one of the criteria reviewers select is “beginner friendliness.”
The lists compiled below show you the most recommended discs for beginners. This is the perfect place to start if you’re trying to figure out what the best disc is for you.
Now, just because a disc is most recommended for beginners doesn’t guarantee that it will be the best disc for you or any other beginner. Because these lists are autogenerated based on overall recommendations, the general “most popular” discs are the ones that rank highest. There are many great beginner discs from lesser known brands and disc molds that simply don’t make the list because they just haven’t been reviewed enough. Be sure to check out the comments at the bottom of the page for more disc selection advice from beginners — or at least those who once were beginners.
Here are the top 10 lists of the most recommended golf discs for beginners:
Overall Most Recommended Disc Golf Discs for Beginners
- Discraft Buzzz: The Buzzz is the Swiss Army knife of midrange discs—versatile, reliable, and essential for any beginner looking to sharpen their game.
- Innova Mako3: A true magician on the course, the Mako3 effortlessly glides through the air, making it the go-to midrange for players seeking control and consistency.
- Dynamic Discs Judge: The Judge rules the putting green with an iron grip, offering a dependable and comfortable feel in the hands of disc golf novices.
- Infinite Discs Sphinx: The Sphinx, like its namesake, unlocks secrets to effortless distance for beginners, making it a trusted companion for those finding their flight.
- Axiom Envy: The Envy is not just a putter; it’s a confidence booster, granting beginners the power to approach every shot with poise and precision.
- Innova Leopard: The Leopard, a timeless classic, is a gateway to fairway mastery, blending speed and control for a smooth ride through the course.
- Innova Aviar: The Aviar, a putting maestro, is the trusted ally for beginners honing their short game skills and seeking reliability in every throw.
- Infinite Discs Tomb: The Tomb, with its mystical flight, digs deep into the hearts of players, offering a unique and enjoyable experience on the disc golf journey.
- Innova TeeBird: The TeeBird, a true workhorse, is a fairway driver that beginners can rely on for accuracy and control, making it an indispensable part of any bag.
- Axiom Virus: The Virus infects the course with enthusiasm, giving beginners a taste of dynamic distance and a contagious passion for the game.See the entire list of most recommended beginner discs here.
Let’s break it down by category—drivers, midranges, and putters—because each phase of your game deserves its own spotlight.
Most Recommended Distance Drivers for Beginners
Many so called disc golf experts never recommend distance drivers for beginners at all. Most beginner sets don’t include a distance driver because new players don’t have the arm speed for a high speed disc and so make up for it by learning bad form and habits. This may be true in some cases, but when a beginner has the right distance driver, it will go farther for them than other discs. New players can still get a full flight path out of distance drivers if the disc is the right stability for their arm speed. In my experience, distance is the #1 thing new disc golfers want more of, so consider trying one of these most recommended distance drivers for beginners. Lighter weight discs are generally more understable and easier to throw so consider choosing from lighter weights of the following:
- Innova Mamba
- Infinite Discs Maya
- Lone Star Tumbleweed
- Discraft Avenger SS
- Latitude 64 Sapphire
- MVP Wave
- Infinite Discs Aztec
- Lone Star Curl
- Axiom Virus
- Infinite Discs I-Blend Pharaoh
Best Fairway Drivers for Beginners
Fairway drivers are the usual driver type found in disc golf starter sets because these are just great discs for beginners. For those new to disc golf, the feel and flight of a golf discs is substantially different than a traditional frisbee. The fairway drivers recommended for beginners are typically understable in nature to provide good distance and a straighter flight path. If you’re looking for your first driver as a beginner I personally recommend and understable, low speed fairway driver.
I find it interesting that this list has several discs like the Dynasty, Teebird, and Exodus that I wouldn’t describe as understable. These discs are recommended for new players because in addition to a straight flying control drirer, it’s also nice to have discs that will provide a consistent fade, not easily turn over, and handle windy conditions. In addition, remember that these lists are auto generated based on the number of recommendations by reviewers, so the more popular discs are more likely it is to have “highly recommended” for beginners votes.
If you prefer forehand throws, you’ll probably also want to consider a fairway driver with a bit more overstability.
Here is the list of the most recommended fairway drivers for beginners: